A small soft tube is placed under the skin of the inner upper arm. It steadily releases a progestogen hormone into the bloodstream to make the womb an unsuitable place for a fertilised egg to attach.
- Single rod works for 3 years.
- When the implant is taken out a woman’s fertility will return immediately.
- You don’t have to think about contraception for as long as the implant works.
- Does not protect against STIs.
- Periods are often irregular for at least the first year, with some bleeding in between, or may be missed.
- May be temporary side effects such as headaches and breast tenderness.